For nearly seven years, I have been blogging about our families’ history. For the first few years, no one followed me. Nada, zip, zilch… I felt just like the Whos who only wanted to be heard…
Thankfully, a couple of years ago, some of my fellow bloggers took pity on my poor little blog and started following me, one here, another there, and so on, kinda like the shampoo commercial…
Or Wayne’s World…
People started following me, liking my posts, and even commenting on my writing… and in a nice way too. I met distant family members and made some new friends. I was on cloud nine.
But still, something eluded me…That is, until this month, when not just one but two exceptional bloggers nominated me for two different blogging awards.
Okay, I am better now. (And my tribute to Mike Myers is complete.) Back to what I was saying, …
One of my more recent followers and new-time blogger, Myricopia, nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award. Myricopia, the brainchild of Eilene Lyon, is a blog devoted to the lessons we could learn from history if we actually heeded them. (Seriously, we should all be reading her blog.) Although Eilene has only been blogging for two months, she has already written 45 posts… FORTY-FIVE! Wow!
For me to accept this honor, I must do three things:
- First, thank the person who nominated me. (Thank you, Eilene!)
- Next, list seven things about myself. (See below.)
- Finally, pay it forward by recognizing 15 other blogs. (See even farther below.)
So, let’s start with seven facts about me…
- I was raised in a family poor in income but rich in spirit.
- Nearly a quarter of a century ago, I got to spend an entire day with Maya Angelou.
- I am a history buff who absolutely loves languages, both the etymology of language and learning to speak and read different languages.
- I am rapidly approaching the day when I will become the “official” family matriarch. And I don’t like it… not one bit.
- Christmas is NOT my favorite holiday. I prefer Halloween instead.
- I have mixed feelings on DNA testing: some positive, most not so much. (Some of my fellow genealogists are shaking their heads in disbelief, I know.)
- Despite my best efforts, I am merely a mediocre mom. (Hey, someone’s got to be average…might as well be me.)
Well, that’s it about me. Now, it’s my turn to nominate some extraordinary bloggers. My nominations for The Versatile Blogger Award (in alphabetical order) are:
- Almost Home
- An Ancestor a Day, The Easy Way
- Ancestry Adventures
- Andersons of Colonial North Carolina
- The Family Kalamazoo
- Filling in the Family Tree
- GraveSeeker’s Diary
- The Lives of My Ancestors
- Lives Our Ancestors Left Behind
- Rael & Fernandez Family History
- Shaking the Family Tree
- Tales of a Family
- And the Tenth Time
If you choose to accept this well-deserved Versatile Blogger Award, follow the steps above and celebrate your success. But please do not feel obliged. No matter what you choose to do, each and every one of you deserves the accolades.